Week of February 2-8
Memorization verse: Deut 6:5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God
with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
- What does this verse mean to you?
- How can you love God with all your heart, soul, and might?
Sunday, February 8
- Ask the students to recite this week's Bible verse.
- Discuss the meaning of the verse.
- What kind of love is required by God? for God?
Younger Classes and Older Classes (select age appropriate questions
Some of the stories in Samuel are a bit complicated for young children.
For the younger classes I'd work with listening and obedience.
- What happens when we don't listen to our parents?
- Why is it important to be obedient?
- Why can we trust our lives to God?
Help the children with their listening skills.
- Tell them a short Bible story.
- Have each child retell the story.
- How accurate are they in the retelling?
- Ask specific questions about the story?
- Are they able to answer?
- Ask them all to spell the word "spot" out loud.
- Then have them quickly respond to this question out loud
What do you do when you come to a green light?
- Many of them will say "Stop."
- Discuss what it means to really listen.
- Do we miss details?
- How can we become better listeners?
- How will being a better listener help at school, at church, and
This next story is more suited to older children. The story of Samuel
responding to God's call begins his role as a prophet. God tells him he's
not happy with the behavior of Eli's sons. Eli wants to know what God
has told Samuel. Samuel relates the gory details of what will happen to
Eli's sons. Then Eli's sons do something very foolish. They take the Ark
of the Covenant to use as a weapon against the Philistines.
- What is the Ark of the Covenant?
- Why was it so important not to touch the Ark?
- Who was the only person allowed into the Holy of Holies where the
Ark of the Covenant was kept? (the priest - Eli)
- What's in the Ark? (Ten Commandments)
- What happens to Eli's sons? (They are killed in the battle and the
Ark is stolen.)
- What does this news do to Eli? (He drops dead on the spot. - I Sam
- How many are familiar with the movie, "The Raiders of the Lost
- What is the premise of the story?
- Do you remember how everything was booby-trapped to keep people from
getting close to the ark?
- What happens when the Philistines take the ark? (I Sam 5)
- Who is Dagon? (the national god of the Philistines)
- How is the story of the Philistines and the ark similar to the story
of "The Raiders of the Lost Ark?"
- Do you think the movie writers got the background of the movie from
- What happens when they send the Ark away? (I Sam 6-7)
- What do you learn from this experience?