Categories: Women in the New Testament
- Anna means "graced" one.
- Anna lived in the temple as a prophet; she
worshipped night and day in prayer and fasting.
- She was at least 84 years old.
- She was, of course, in the temple when Mary
and Joseph brought the baby Jesus for the purification
- She heard Simeon speak to Mary.
- Then she spoke about Jesus to all those who
sought the liberation of Jerusalem.
- She spoke for God.
- She was an elder, a wise woman.
- Anna is mentioned as a woman of exemplary
Aland, Kurt. Synopsis of the Four Gospels. Germany: Bible Society Stuttgart, 1972.
Beare, F.W. The Gospel According to Matthew. San Francisco: Harper & Row, 1981.
Brown, Raymond. The Birth of the Messiah. New York: Doubleday, 1993.
Gaventa, Beverly. Mary: Glimpses of the Mother of Jesus. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 1999.
Geldenhuys, Norval. Commentary on the Gospel of Luke. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm B Eerdmans, 1977.
Griffith-Jones, Robin. The Four Witnesses. San Francisco: Harper Collins, 2000.
Johnson, Luke Timothy. The Gospel of Luke. Sacra Pagina Series. Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 1991.
Sallberg Kam, Rose. Their Stories, Our Stories. New York: Continuum Publishing, 1995.
Summers, Ray. Commentary on Luke. Waco, TX: Word Books, 1972.