A Month of Gifts
The gift of Christmas can come any time! Celebrate the coming of the Christ child each week as a special family time to explore the full Christmas story. Consider ways to honor Jesus all year!
Everyone likes to receive a present. Why not give yourself the gift of Christmas every week this month? On Sunday evening (or another convenient weekly time for your family) gather together to receive the greatest gift ever -- the coming of the baby who grew up to show us the way to eternal life. All you need is to schedule four times to meet in addition to Christmas Eve.
It works like this. Select a cozy setting - around the fireplace, the dining table, the Christmas tree, the nativity scene. And choose a Bible, the King James version or another family favorite. Each week, you'll read part of the Christmas story and have a short discussion (see suggestions below). If you have a crèche (nativity set), you can put into it the figures that relate to the relevant section of the story.
Week one: The prophecy
Read Micah 5:2.....Isaiah 40: 1-5.....Isaiah 9:2, 6-7
- On a map, locate the cities of Nazareth, Jerusalem, and Bethlehem.
- What does the word "Messiah" mean?
- Why were people waiting for the Messiah?
Week two: The story of Mary and Joseph
Read: Matthew 1: 18-23.....Luke 2: 1, 3-7
- Why did they have to go to Bethlehem?
- What does the name Emmanuel mean?
- Why was the stable a better place to have a baby than the inn?
Week three: The story of the shepherds
Read: Luke 2: 8-18, 20
- Why do you think the shepherds were the first to visit the baby?
- Do angels ever talk to us today?
- Memorize: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." What does this mean to you?
Week four: The story of the kings
Read: Matthew 2: 1-12
- Herod, the king, ruled Israel on behalf of which country?
- Why was he interested in the baby Jesus?
- We know what gold is, but what were the gifts of frankincense and myrrh?
Read Luke 2:40.....Matthew 4:23-24.....Matthew 5: 2, 16.....Matthew 10:8.....John 13:34....John 21: 25.....Revelation 19: 6, 16
- How many healings by Jesus can you name?
- What do you think was Jesus' greatest victory?
- How does Jesus affect your life today?
This story is the foundation for a happy and meaningful Christmas – and throughout the new year. Consider how your family can honor Jesus in daily life. Take some time to rededicate yourselves to the principles of Jesus' life: to ease the pain of the world, to love and care for one another, to put God first, and to be as pure and honest and perfect as you can be - and to go forward each day with hope, feeling the blessing of Jesus Christ who gave his life for us. Why think of these things only at Christmas? Make every day as joyous as Christmas day!