Healings in the Gospel of Mark
Read Mark 1, 2, and 5
Print/ Download Questions -- Healings in the Gospel of Mark
And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people. And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatic, and those that had the palsy; and he healed them.
- What is healing?
- What kinds of people needed healing?
- Name some of the healings you find in Mark.
- Demons are cast out (Mark 1:21-28)
- Peter’s mother-in-law healed (Mark 1:29-31)
- Many healings (Mark 1:32-39)
- What were some of those healings?
- A leper is cleansed (Mark 1:40-45)
- Did you know that lepers weren’t allowed to touch anyone?
- They couldn’t live in the city and whenever they passed by anyone, they had to ring a bell and say “Unclean.”
- Paralytic is healed (Mark 2:1-12)
- What was special about this man’s friends?
- Do you have friends who would help you that way?
- Devils are cast into the swine? (Mark 5:1-20)
- Tell or read this story.
- Who was Legion?
- What were Legion’s comments to Jesus?
- Why would Jesus cast the devils into the swine? [Jews considered the swine to be unclean. There is a possibility that some of the Jews were raising swine and selling them to the Gentiles. This was not an acceptable practice for the Jews. Jesus was ridding not only the man of “devils” but the people of “devilish” behavior.]
- Jairus asks Jesus to heal his daughter [Mark 5:21-24]
- How old is the girl?
- What was Jairus’ occupation?
- What did Jairus ask Jesus to do?
- Who interrupts Jesus going to Jairus’ house?
- Healing of a woman with an issue of blood [Mark 5:25-34]
- What did this woman do?
- How many years had she been sick?
- What do these two healings have in common? [both females, one 12 and one with a problem for 12 years, one touched Jesus’ clothes and one was touched by Jesus, keep looking…]
- Jairus’ daughter is brought back from the dead [Mark 5:35-43]
- What did a servant tell Jairus?
- What did Jesus tell Jairus?
- Why did Jesus have to put everyone out at the house?
- What are professional mourners? [people called to cry and wail for the person who died]
- What did Jesus’ say to the girl?
|The juxtaposition of these two healings makes for interesting role playing. Have someone play Jairus – make sure he understands the urgency of getting Jesus back to heal his daughter. How do you think he is going to react when Jesus takes time for a woman with a problem that might detain him from getting to his daughter? There is usually great interaction with this. Have someone play the woman with the sickness for 12 years; the 12 year old daughter; the mother, servants, mourners, disciples, and Jesus. Which disciples did Jesus take with him?
- Healing at Gennersaret [Mark 6:53-56]
- Syrophenician woman ‘s daughter healed [Mark 7:24-30]
- Deaf and dumb man healed [Mark 7:31-37]
- Blind man healed [Mark 8:22-26]
- What was unusual about this healing?
- Name some other healings in Mark
Using the chart for Matthew, continue with your responses for Mark. It is helpful if each student takes a different healing so they can share the results.