Use Tech to Spread Good
The social media of today has invaded our lives. Most people now accept it as a way of life. But the negative and destructive impact that social media is having on people and their relationships with others, how they view themselves, and their ability to communicate, problem-solve, think, invent, corroborate, work together, etc. is huge.
So let's try to change that if we can. Since we're stuck with social media and technology, we might as well put it to good use. We might as well make people feel good about themselves rather than feel bad. We're supposed to follow Jesus' command: "Love your enemies, bless those that curse you, do good to those that hate you, and pray for those who speak evil about you, and persecute you" (Matt 5:44 JUB).
Think for a moment how you might do that in your life, with your circle of friends, in your school, with your family.
Here are some ideas:
- Text your appreciation to a friend.
- Send a thank you email to someone who helped you or gave you a gift.
- Post something on Facebook that encourages someone.
- Tweet an uplifting idea.
- Start a good-will, happiness, kindness blog.
- Share only what's good.
- If someone has written a lie, correct it with the truth—kindly.
- Refuse to engage in any negative comments on any form of social media.
- Stop gossip by refusing to pass it on.
- Confront people (or their printed word) who hurt others and hide behind technology.
- Write things that show the best in others.
And then, if you really want to make a difference, use technology sparingly. Rather than spending time on Facebook, spend time face-to-face in the flesh with your friends and family. Listen to their lives, not just to what they post. See their expressions when they talk, not just the print. Hear their voices rather than read their texts.
Together, explore the living, breathing, world rather than a virtual reality. Make grand discoveries and solve real problems rather than reaching a higher gaming level. Enjoy the present moment without any hindrance from technology. Life goes by too quickly to waste endless hours in the unnatural glow of a screen.
If you are to use social media, or any technology, make it bless others. We have a choice each and every moment. Make it a choice that glorifies God, that makes other people feel good about themselves, that makes you feel good about yourself, that makes you know you're living out your God-directed life.